Company: Smart & Final Stores
Location: 600 Citadel Dr, Commerce, CA 90040
Salary: $65,000 – $80,000 per year
Smart & Final Stores is looking for an experienced Staff Accountant to work in their Commerce, California office. The Staff Accountant will report to the Senior Accounting Manager, Banking & Receipts. The primary responsibilities include ensuring accurate and timely reconciliation of multiple bank and general ledger accounts, researching and resolving variances, recording journal entries during period close, preparing accruals, and analyzing financial data.
- Ensure that sales and asset transactions are accurately reflected in the company’s books and records.
- Manage reconciliation software uploads of banking and accounting data for cash and revenue balancing in over 250 stores.
- Provide accounting analysis and review of various tender types, including EBT, WIC, checks, credit and debit cards, and cash.
- Reconcile accounts receivable general ledger to sub-ledger daily and resolve issues.
- Compile and analyze financial information related to sales, receipts, and banking.
- Interact with stores and banks regarding deposit and change order discrepancies.
- Research cardholder disputes and provide supporting documentation to remedy chargebacks.
- Prepare accruals based on analysis of historical data and reconcile assigned general ledger accounts.
- Review variances between budget and forecast, investigate budget assumptions, and report significant variances to the Senior Manager.
- Support external auditors related to revenue and provide evidence of SOX controls testing.
- Assist in designing and implementing changes to improve efficiency and accuracy of the accounting department.
- Prepare special analyses and reporting using various systems used to manage accounting processes.
- Validate and reconcile data flows for internal and 3rd party providers related to E-commerce and revenue.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) in Accounting, Finance, or Business from a four-year college or university.
- A minimum of three years of related experience and/or training.
- Strong accounting reconciliation skills.
- Experience with high-volume, multiple location businesses is preferred.
- Strong PC skills and the ability to use database programs and spreadsheets.
- Strong understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret business periodicals, journals, procedures, and regulations.
- Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
- Effective presentation skills for various audiences.
- Proficiency in mathematical calculations and computer skills.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office programs (Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Word) and experience with financial applications (SAP preferred).
- Ability to interface with internet-based data on external websites.
The salary range for this position is $65,000 to $80,000 per year. The actual starting pay will depend on qualifications, experience, and relevant skills.